Download Java 8 JRE and JDK (Latest Version)
Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D. Download Now
Download Java 8 JRE and JDK (All Versions): Java is one of the most popular programming languages in the world. It currently runs on over 15 billion devices worldwide. Java finds its application in a lot of sectors like banking, retail, Information Technology, Android, Stock market, Financial Services, Big Data, Scientific and Research Community, etc. There are a lot of apps and software that run on Java. In order to use these apps, you need to have Java on your computer. Java is also an integral part of web applets and websites. Thus, Java is an indispensable part of your computer and you need to install it sooner or later. In this article, we will be talking about Java 8, the most secure version of Java to date. We will also help you with downloading and installing it on your computer.
Introduction to Java
Java was created by Sun Microsystems and later acquired by Oracle. It is an object-oriented, class-based, general-purpose programming language. Java has a lot of features that make it the first choice for coders and app developers. It is simple and designed in close correlation to real-life objects. It has a unique virtual machine called JVM (Java Virtual Machine) which makes Java code platform-independent. It has an extensive library of classes and predefined functions that acts as a great boon for developers. It promotes the concept of “Write Once Run Anywhere” and developers to share and reuse code for increased productivity.
Java consists of two parts – a Java Development Kit (JDK) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE). There is also the JVM which is a part of the runtime environment.
What is JAVA Development Kit (JDK)?
JAVA Development Kit is the app development environment that allows you to create and develop programs, java applications, and applets. JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE) is a part of JDK along with JAVA Virtual Machine (JVM) and development tools. It also contains a compiler and an interpreter. It is a freeware and can be easily downloaded on your PC. The main functions of JDK can be summed us as compiling, documenting, and creating JAVA program Packages.
What is JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE)?
JRE is the environment in which you can execute and run your code. It allows your code to access all the class libraries and support files that are provided in the JAVA Virtual Machine (JVM). It is the primary requirement to run JAVA programs on your computer. JRE is also required to run various JAVA based apps and online applets. When you are playing online games, chatting with others, using a calculator, or viewing 3D images, you are using JRE. Without JRE all this is not possible. There are two important components of JRE: JAVA Plug-in and Web start. JAVA Plug-in allows applets to run on internet browsers and Web start is required for the functioning of standalone applications on a network.
What is JAVA Virtual Machine?
As the name suggests, it is a virtual machine that provides a platform for code to be executed. It is a very special component that makes JAVA code universal. JVM acts as an interpreter and converts code into machine language which is platform-independent. It contains all the class libraries and pre-defined functions. JVM enables the bytecode to get executed on the computer. It consists of a specification, an implementation, and a runtime instance. The specification defines the working of the JVM. The implementation is carried out in the JRE (JAVA Runtime Environment). The runtime instance is created when you run the JAVA program either from the command prompt or from the JAVA class.
What’s New in Java 8?
Java 8 is the most secure version of Java released to date. It comes with a lot of updates that make programming in Java more efficient and powerful. It has improved the JVM, the compiler, and other help systems. Let us now look closely at the new features of Java 8.
1. Lambda Expressions – Java 8 now supports Lambda Expressions. It is also known as closures and is very popular in functional programming. This feature was sincerely missed by programmers and coders and its introduction in Java 8 was very well received. Lambda expressions allow you to use functions anywhere just like normal code. Earlier, programmers had to use boilerplate classes and this was a tedious process. It allows you to encapsulate certain sections of the code and pass it to another code. Lambda expressions can be used to perform a certain action on elements of a collection, on completion of a process, or when an error is encountered.
2. Date and Time APIs – Another great addition to Java 8 is the date and time API. Java 8 has completely refurbished its API library. It was already pretty extensive and a bit overwhelming and thus adding a new API made it compulsory to rewrite the entire API from scratch. There were also a couple of structural flows and thus rewriting the APIs from scratch was very important. The new APIs are simpler and easier to use.
4. Stream API – Java 8 also brings the new feature of Stream API. It makes working on Collections easier. Stream APIs along with Lambda expressions make it very convenient for users to work on functional programming. This makes it possible to write more meaningful code. It makes it easier to carry out operations like counting and filtering.
5. Concurrent Accumulators – Concurrent accumulators enable you to run your code thread safely. There are a lot of scopes for error and can become overwhelming for average coders. Java 8 comes with Concurrent accumulators that help in handling the probable errors in a safe way.
6. Improved Type Interference – The Java compiler helps you to infer the type parameters of a generic method invocation by using target typing. The target type is the data type of an expression that the compiler expects where the expression appears. Java 8 allows you to use the target type for type interference. The most common use of this feature is to infer the data type of its arguments.
How to Download and Install Java 8 JRE and JDK?
If you are just a home user then you can simply download the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). It allows you to use the apps and software that are made using Java. It also helps you to run Web applets and websites that are using Java-based plug-ins.
If you want to develop Java apps on your computer then you need to install JDK (Java Development Kit). When you install JDK, you automatically install JRE as JRE is a part of JDK.
There are a couple of ways in which you can download and install Java 8 JRE and JDK on your computer. Let us now look at these methods individually.
Method 1: Using an Offline Installer
If you do not have a stable internet connection then you would need an offline Installer. The offline installer can be saved on a USB drive and copied to different devices.
In order to install only the runtime environment (JRE), use the link given below:
In order to download the entire development kit, use the link given below:
Method 2: Using the Official Online Installer
You can easily download Java 8 from the official site of Oracle. Click here to go to the official download page of Java.
Step 1: Once you are on the official site you will have to choose between the 32-bit and 64-bit download option. Download the one that is in coherence with your operating system.
Step 2: Once you click on the download button you will receive an installer which is less than 1 MB. This installer will now download Java 8 on your computer.
Step 3: Now run the installer by double-clicking on it.
Step 4: Now click on continue and the installation process will begin. You can perform a custom installation by selecting or deselecting the files that you would like to install. However, it is advisable to stick to the defaults to avoid confusion.
Step 5: After making the selections click on the continue button and the installation will start.
Step 6: Wait for some time and the installation will get completed.
Recommended: Download Java 10 Offline Installers
Java is very important software that is a must-have for both end-users and app developers. It is a simple programming language that is preferred by a lot of developers. It is platform-independent and hence used in so many different devices all over the world. Java is also an integral part of Web-based applets and a lot of websites. All the apps that are created using Java need Java to run on your computer. Java 8 JDK and JRE is the most secure version of Java. If you are considering using an older version of Java, then Java 8 is the best option.