How to Downgrade iOS
Table of Contents
You have the latest version of the iPhone and iPad operating system, but what if you don’t like it?
Or what if you install it on your device and it starts to cause problems?
You may want to know how to downgrade iOS and revert to the previous iPhone update.
Downgrading iOS is a great way to fix problems with the operating system or simply roll back to a version that you’re more comfortable using.
If you decide that you don’t like your iOS version and want to revert to an earlier update, those are the 3 easy steps that you need to take:
1) Download the version of iOS (IPSW file) you want to downgrade to.
The first step is necessary. You must download to your computer the iOS update you want to downgrade.
These older versions of iOS are no longer available on Apple’s official website.
But these last few years, we have collected all the official iOS files for you to download through our website.
So, If you need to download an IPSW file to your computer to downgrade your iOS device, follow the instructions below:
1.- Navigate to the iOS version you need and download the appropriate one for your device.
2.- Come back here and continue downgrading your iOS device.
2) Backup your device.
This step is not obligatory but is always important before making any changes to your phone.
So it’s vital when you’re about to downgrade software.
If something goes wrong while you’re downgrading iOS, you’ll want to be able to restore your device to its previous state.
For this, you can make a backup of your device manually. You have to:
- Open your iPhone’s settings app and tap on “iCloud.”
- Then click on “Backup now.”
Even if you don’t want to downgrade your iPhone or iPad, I always recommend turning on “iCloud Backup.” This will back up your device automatically to Apple’s servers whenever it’s connected to a Wi-Fi network.
3) Downgrade your iOS iPhone or iPad
Using the iOS file we downloaded earlier, let’s set your phone to the version you have chosen.
With your iPhone connected to your pc or mac, follow these steps:
- First, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer.
- Then (if you have not yet done so), go back to the first step and download the IPSW file for the version of iOS you want to downgrade to.
- Open iTunes and click on the “iPhone” icon when the download is complete.
- In the Summary tab, click on “Restore iPhone…” and then select the IPSW file you just downloaded.
- Accept Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
- That’s all, iTunes will restore your iOS device to the earlier version of iOS.
So that’s how you downgrade iOS! If you have any questions or run into any problems, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help. We’re more than happy to walk you through the process and assist with whatever you need. Thanks for reading, and be sure to check back soon for more great content from our blog.