How to Reset Catroot2 Folder in Windows 10: To get regular Windows update, both the Catroot2 and Catroot folders are important. Just like SoftwareDistribution folder these folders contain many important windows update components. Any problem in these folders can create issues regarding Windows update. Only resetting catroot2 folder can repair these update related issues. However, there persist some differences between catroot and catroot2. Catroot folder should not be deleted because Windows cannot create this folder automatically, whereas catroot2 folders can be recreated. Generally, these folders must remain untouched but in times of stubborn update related problems, you might need the modification of that particular folder. This process is not at all difficult but a bit tricky. We have come up with the instructions that you can follow to Reset Catroot2 Folder in Windows 10.
How to Reset Catroot2 Folder in Windows 10
For troubleshooting some update related issues you might need to reset it at times. Catroot2 folders containing signatures of Windows Update package can be installed. Resetting Catroot2 folders might fix your update related issues. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do that to Reset Catroot2 Folder:
- Firstly, you might be required to stop several services for resetting catroot2 folder. This can be done when some commands can be executed. Thus, at first you need to open the start menu and type cmd, then right click on the command button and choose run for administrating your command.
- After that, run the below-mentioned commands one by one.
net stop cryptsvc md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s
- However, for the successful running of the commands, you need to visit C:\Windows\System32\catroot2. Then, delete all the things this folder contains and run the below-mentioned command.
net start cryptsvc
- Then, check the current windows update.
This way you will be able to delete all contents that your folder contains and reset it at the same time. If you are willing to reset the contents of the folder again you can find them easily in C:\Windows\System32\catroot2.bak. All you need to do is to copy paste it in the original file.
During the starting of the windows update, the catroot2 folder will reset on its own. However, the same thing can be done manually if you find this is not created by the windows. Always remember, in case you create this folder manually it should come under the same path (%windir%\System32\). Before starting windows update don’t forget to restart the PC.
Recommended For you:
- Download YouTube Videos Without Any Software [GUIDE]
- Download Roblox Studio [Direct Link]
- Download Microsoft Silverlight 5 Offline Installer
- Direct Download SpaceSniffer 22.214.171.124
I hope the above steps were helpful and you have learned How to Reset Catroot2 Folder in Windows 10 but if you still have any questions then feel free to ask your questions in the comment’s section.